Thursday, July 5, 2007

Some Hidden Secret?




I have a new found admiration for SAHM's, after having been one for just over a year now. I had all these expectations, I thought it would be just like what you see on television. Somehow, I expected to be Supermom.....NOT! Oh heavens...how on earth do some mom's do this day in and day out and not go totally insane?? How do they change diapers, clean kids, cook, wash laundry, clean house(spotless!), and manage to get in a shower for themselves, read a book or just plain do anything that doesn't require Mr. Clean, a sponge, a dustpan and wipes and desitin??? On top of all this, they still manage to grocery shop and be PTA moms....co ordinate magnificent parties and maybe even have an at home business on the side...and unbelievably still be able to have a truly heartwarming fucking smile on their face!!!

You never see them yell at their kids, they say things like..."Michael, we don't hit our sister", or "Cindy, we don't throw"....and "Do we need a time out?" Can I throw up now?? I feel like I'm going insane, and I cannot seem to keep one room clean for longer than five minutes...much less an entire house. I spend my day mopping floors, cleaning clothes and dishes, picking up toys, only to turn around at the end of the day and it looks as if I sat on my couch watching soaps! Sometimes I feel like I need a straight jacket and a rubber room. People used to tell me all the time, "you should be a PTA mom", because I make my kids birthday cakes and because I sew their costumes for Halloween. Yeah RIGHT!!!! I can't even hardly manage to get a shower in, and heaven forbid I attempt to read a book. I cannot fathom setting up some school activity or hosting a school party....I'd have to be co ordinated and be able to function in a stressful setting...soooo not something I'm capable of.

I am not organised enough to plan something like that...my mom used to tell me, "I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached", how right she was! I love my kids, don't get me wrong, I love watching other peoples children. I have even gotten certified in CPR and First Aid. I am still trying to figure out how on earth to enjoy it and not lose my ever loving mind! I need some pointers, some glorious knowledge about being a SAHM that I am not aware of....I NEED DRUGS!!!! A PILL!!!!! LOL

Maybe one day I'll figure it all out, I'll find the secret to staying home and not wanting to tie all my kids up in one room and stick cotton in my ears :). Seriously....how do those mom's do it? They are MY IDOLS!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

All I can say is, If you aren't showering PTA doesn't really want you there, so that fixes that. To stay sane, one must have a bottle of "happy juice" hidden in a cabinet and a calgon in the bathroom!!


(((hugs)) I feel your pain!
Love ya!

Laura F. said...

I just saw your blog listed on adoption.com, I hope you don't mind.

You're not alone. I love being a SAHM, but it drives me crazy somedays (and I only have one child)! You know, one of my mom friends the other day actually told me how impressed she is that I never lose my cool and always seem to have it together. HA!!! She has no idea what it's like when I'm home by myself.

Titus 2 Thandi said...

LOL!! I'm way late but hey..Yesterday I stood in the kitchen and actually screamed!Funny thing is, the kids weren't doing anything! They were playing peacefully but the fact that I couldn't just sit and enojy it got to me.My poor 2 yr old looks at me and says matter of factly "Don't scream Mommy" My son thought it was hilarious!